Calabria, in southern Italy, is known for its pork based dishes as well as a hearty dose of fiery red chilies. Allepia's Calabrese salami brings both together for a bold, spicy treat. Combined with Calabrian Paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic, and fennel, this dry cured salami is piquant and zesty.
Meat and Fish
Among the preserved products Sensibus offers you will find a wide range of cured meats and cold cuts of superior quality.
In particular, we put special attention in the choice of "sausages", in respect to their origin and quality: Barolo Salami, Calabrian salami, among which stands out the brawn spicy soppressata, bacon, just to name a few.
The selection process in the choice of raw and cooked ham is completely different. Among the hams proposed by Sensibus you will always find the top of the Italian tradition, with brands of excellence such as San Daniele ham and Parma ham for row hams, and Parmacotto for cooked hams.
The production of cooked ham occurs through a succession of different "inalienable" and irreplaceable phases. First, the pork leg is boned and matured for a few days at a temperature of 42-48 °F; then it is salted: in cooked ham salt is not applied on the surface of the meat (as for most cured meats), but by means of brine infra-muscle injections.
This process is know as churning and is consider as a real massage; the churning of the ham can last up to 70 hours. Than, the ham is steam-baked (158 ° F) in a suitable mold; next, it's time of the cold storage in refrigerator, at a temperature of about 32 ° F. At this point, the ham undergoes a deep cleaning of its surface which regularizes its shape too.
The production of dry-cured ham must strictly abide by the following steps and precautions:
- selection of the thighs: first of all, you need to specify is that there are pigs specifically bred for the production of dry-cured ham;
- maturation of the thighs: it takes several days and requires a temperature of 37-39 ° F
- salting of the thighs: in order to have ham dehydrated and ready for ripening, it is necessary to sprinkle it with salt or soak it in brine; the mixture used for salting the ham contains: sodium chloride, flavors, nitrates, and, in some cases, sucrose. The percentages of salting are necessary to the success of the food
- pre-rest and rest: during these phases the hams begin to change their nutritional composition and the percentage of water they contain
- washing: it is aimed at the elimination of the external residues of the ham (salt, liquids, dirt, etc.)
- drying / curing: at this phase, the hams are placed in a special drying room to loos all the excess fluid and get dried.
- smearing: as anticipated, the the lean part of the ham is rubbed with lard; this process is essential to ensure the perfect preservation of ham, even in proximity of those areas of the ham free of rind
- finishing: quite simply, after being rubbed with lard, the hams are "corrected" before the next stage of processing
- pre-curing and maturation: these are the real phases of maturation that ham can reach only after that the above steps have been performed impeccably
- spiking: it is "final assessment" of the ham's quality: in fact, a specialized operator verifies the organoleptic properties of the ham, the presence or absence of defects and assesses whether the ham can be distributed or not. The evaluation criteria are different depending on the possible attribution of PGI or PDO denominations.
- Fire branding: it lasts from 6 to 14 months (depending on the product expected) and occurs ONLY in case of achievement of quality standards assessed by spiking and required by the product specification.
Along with these products in the Cured Meat section you will find our selection of bottarga (fish roe). The culinary tradition of roe dates back to 3000 years ago and was brought to Sardinia by the Phoenicians.
Like the Nuragic civilization, the Phoenicians were traditionally fisherman and they didn't struggle not to pass on to their indigenous knowledge in respect to the salting and drying of mullet roe.
The careful selection of raw materials, the skillful craftsmanship and the slow seasoning make our mullet bottarga a unique product, with a typically almond flavor and amber color. The bottarga sachs a are classified according to their eight and packaged under vacuum-seal to ensure the unaltered the quality of the product over time. A further reason to be proud of our selection are the following products: ground mullet roe, tuna roe (in sacs or ground), the cream of mullet roe and smoked mullet.
The slight moldy that may form on the surface of the bottarga sacks thanks to moisture, allows the product to give off unique fragrances that you will easily smell if you find yourself wandering in the streets of Cabras, from June to November.
The extraction and processing of the roe that Sensibus requires and certifies for its Bottarga is the following one:
In the summer, a period during which the mullet with eggs reach the ideal size, they are caught and selected, and the eggs are extracted with great care.
The extraction phase is extremely delicate: it is important not to break or damage the sack that contains the eggs. Otherwise, it would not be possible to process them.
Once extracted, the eggs are washed with water and ice, and then cleaned of all residues.
At this point the second phase can start: it's time of salting. The sacks are sprinkled with salt and left to rest for some time. Each sack is unique and should be checked periodically to ensure the best results.
Next, in the third phase, the fish sacks are washed one by one, pressed and prepared for the fourth phase: drying.
During this phase, the sacks are hung and dried naturally for five days, and left in the dark for two or three days, to allow them to take on the characteristic scent of Bottarga.
Shipping & Returns
Sensibus is committed to ensuring the safe and efficient delivery of its perishable food products. To do this, we are constantly researching, developing and improving our packaging system. Your cheeses are packaged in insulated cartons and fitted with ice packs to ensure quality standards for up to 48 hours. Items ordered together are not necessarily shipped together.
In order to guarantee freshness, we cut most of our cheeses to order by hand and we do our very best to cut it as accurately as possible. There still remains a possibility of a shipping a cheese that is slightly bigger or smaller than what has been ordered. All listed measurements and weights are approximate. Please, consider that this is one of the challenges of offering a hand-crafted food product, and that we do everything possible to make sure you are satisfied.
Due to the perishable nature of many of the products that we offer, limited shipping options are provided. The customer however, can choose from a selection of shipment options, all of which guarantee to maintain the integrity of the product until the point of delivery. All products are shipped from our fulfillment center in California, in the best suited packaging. For perishables, an insulated cooler will be packed with ice to keep the products cool while in transit.
Sensibus guarantees the highest quality of all its products. In the event you consider a product unsatisfactory, the product will either be replaced or a credit will be issued. Please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by the “Returns Request Module” that you find in your Account, describing your problem within twenty-four hours from the product's delivery.
Please review our shipping and returns policy here as they may have recently changed.
Please note that our shipping costs depend on the zone and on the weight of the package.
Standard shipping charges are calculated using the total dollar amount of merchandise ordered for each delivery address provided, as detailed in the chart below:
|$0 - $50||$50 - $90||$90 - $190||over $190|
|Next Day Air Saver® (1 day - by end of day)||$17.00||$22.00||$32.00||15%|
|Next Day Air® (1 day)||$24.00||$32.00||$40.00||18%|
- Perishable items might include special insulated boxes and ice-gel packs to keep items cool until arrival.
- When ordering perishable products and Ground Shipping can't deliver your order as quickly as we require, we do not display Ground as a shipping option in the checkout process.
- Oversized items may take longer to be delivered and sometimes require special treatment.
- If you place your order after 2:00 pm on Thursday and before 2:00 pm on Friday, you may have possibility to choose Saturday as a delivery option, depending on delivery destination. Note that there will be a $15 surcharge applied for Saturday delivery, as per the rates charged by our carrier partners. If you do not need to have the goods by Saturday, please choose standard delivery options, and your order will be shipped Monday, or the next working business day.