"How can you rule a country which has two hundred and forty-six types of cheese?" - Charles de Gaulle
Different Types of Cheese
The world of dairy products is huge and includes hundreds of types of cheeses which are fruit of millenary traditions. The classification of cheeses can be made following different criteria. Let's see the most common ones.
- Cheese by type of milk: cow, sheep, goat, buffalo or mixed-milk cheeses.
- Cheese by fat: we have fat, semi-fat and low-fat cheeses accoridng to the fat content present in the paste.
- Cheese by curd-cooking temperature: depending on the temperature that the curd reaches, we have raw, semi-cooked and cooked cheeses.
- Cheese by texture: different cheese-making processes and aging periods will produce soft, semi-soft and hard cheeses.
- Cheese by rind: bloomy, washed, natural, and dry are some of the most pupular types of cheese rind.
- Cheese by place of origin: cheeses are produced all over the world, but definitely French and Italian cheeses are the most popular types of cheeses in the world.
Another category to be considered is that of cheese made by adding enzymes, for example, blue cheeses.