Turkey Thanksgiving Recipe: Stuffed Turkey with Speck and Apples
Looking for interesting Thanksgiving recipe ideas? Tired of the traditional turkey recipes?
Well, if you want to preserve the tradition while giving a fresh touch to your dinner, this is the right recipe for you: an Italian variation of the traditional Thanksgiving stuffed turkey where the rich and full-bodied taste of meat is mitigated by the sweetness of apples.
The result is a perfecly balanced dish and one of the best Thanksgiving turkey recipes ever tried.
- Prepare the turkey stuffing: peel the vegetables and chop them finely.
- Then, put them into a large bowl and add the pork meat and the sausage (private gutted and chopped), mix everything by hand and add the grated Parmesan, breadcrumbs and the whole egg. Mix again and season with salt and pepper, add the nutmeg and mix all again.
- Clean the turkey and gut it (better if you ask your butcher to do it it so that it's ready to be stuffed). Removed any feathers left with tweezers and then start stuffing the turkey with the help of a spoon and pressing well inside so as to compact it.
- Sew up the turkey with a needle and kitchen twine and tie the wings so that they don't separate while cooking.
- Spread 1 oz of butter on the whole turkey and wrap it completely with the speck slices.
- Cut the sausage into small 1-inch pieces and coat these with the remaining Speck. Use some toothpicks to hold the speck in place while cooking.
- Melt the remaining butter and oil in a pan and and then add add the turkey. Fry over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Pour the white wine and also add the skewers with sausage and bacon, let the alcohol evaporate and then bake in a preheated oven (static) at 390°F for one hour.
- Occasionally sprinkle the turkey with its own roast juice.
- Wash the apples and cut them in half or 4 and add them to the turkey.
- Cook for an hour and a half (if you see that the bacon becomes too dark cover the turkey with aluminum foil so that it keeps on cooking without burning), remembering to keep spray from time to time with the gravy.
- Once the turkey is thoroughly cooked (you can verify this by inserting a toothpick in the crane, if some liquid comes out then cooking should be prolonged), put it onto a serving dish and garnish with the sausage skewers, the apples and the gravy.
To make turkey for Thanksgiving has never been so easy!
Read out more Thanksgiving recipes on Sensibus.