Sorrentina Gnocchi Casserole, a Baked Pasta Recipe from Campania
Gnocchi alla Sorrentina is one of the most famous baked gnocchi recipe in the world...
Gnocchi alla Sorrentina is one of the most famous baked gnocchi recipe in the world. The name “Sorrentina” indicates the origin of this recipe: Sorrento is a town of Campania, a South Italian region.
Sorrentina sauce is a tomato and basil sauce with mozzarella, the most classic Italian cuisine pairing! The ingredients are simple and the recipe is really easy to cook, and that's what makes the difference is the choice of quality products. The original recipe has mozzarella fior di latte, but we suggest you to try Buffalo Mozzarella.
Obviously the best recipe for Gnocchi alla Sorrentina should imply the use of homemade gnocchi. But no fear! Gnocchi is a simple pasta to make. Try to make your fresh pasta and then use this gnocchi sauce recipe to complete your dish.
Tomato sauce is as important as mozzarella: use high quality tomato pulp and try it while cooking, if it is too sour add a teaspoon of sugar.
How to make tomato and basil sauce
- In a large pan put olive oil, finely chopped onion and chili pepper (optional). Cook over low heat until the onion turns golden brown.
- Add the tomato pulp and salt to taste.
- Cook until the natural water of tomatoes will be absorbed, more or less 25 minutes.
- When the sauce looks like thick, add the basil (not all the leaves).
How to cook gnocchi
- Dice the mozzarella and set aside.
- Boil salted water in a large sauce pan.
- Add the gnocchi and cook until they float (generally a couple of minutes). Wait a minute and drain the pasta using a slotted spoon.
- Take a baking pan, create a thin layer with the tomato sauce.
- Then add the gnocchi, the tomato sauce and the mozzarella.
- Bake for 5 minutes in a pre-heated oven, at 400° F.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve very hot!