Sorrentina Gnocchi Casserole, a Baked Pasta Recipe from Campania
Gnocchi alla Sorrentina is one of the most famous baked gnocchi recipe in the world...
Cooking tipsTomato sauce is as important as mozzarella: use high quality tomato pulp and try it while cooking, if it is too sour add a teaspoon of sugar.
How to make tomato and basil sauce
- In a large pan put olive oil, finely chopped onion and chili pepper (optional). Cook over low heat until the onion turns golden brown.
- Add the tomato pulp and salt to taste.
- Cook until the natural water of tomatoes will be absorbed, more or less 25 minutes.
- When the sauce looks like thick, add the basil (not all the leaves).
How to cook gnocchi
- Dice the mozzarella and set aside.
- Boil salted water in a large sauce pan.
- Add the gnocchi and cook until they float (generally a couple of minutes). Wait a minute and drain the pasta using a slotted spoon.
- Take a baking pan, create a thin layer with the tomato sauce.
- Then add the gnocchi, the tomato sauce and the mozzarella.
- Bake for 5 minutes in a pre-heated oven, at 400° F.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve very hot!