Sicilian Bones of the Dead Cookies: Halloween Biscuit Ideas
Halloween is coming, and today we suggest you an original idea coming from far: the Sicilian bones of the dead cookies, made with ground and sugar mixture. The "Ossi dei morti" cookie recipe is typical of Sicilian cuisine and is traditionally made for the 2nd of November, the day dedicated to the dear ones who passed away. Actually, Halloween coincides with the Catholic holy days of All Saints and All Souls, so the two commemorations are striclty related one another.
The dead man's bones Italian cookies are so named for their shape and color, for this reason they are perfect if need ideas for Halloween treats for kids and adults.
This recipe is simple and fast, the only drawback is the preparation time because you will have to wait for three days and then you can put the cookies in the oven. But the result will be excellent: when you will eat a dead bone will be like being in the beautiful land of Sicily!
- First of all, add the sugar to water and heat, without bringing to a boil.
- Mix continously.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, together with cinnamon and ground cloves.
- Make a well into the flour and add the sweet water gradually.
- Knead with your hands until getting a smooth paste.
- Divide the dough into slices and roll each piece.
- With a fork cut the rolls into very small pieces and slightly press them with the back of the fork.
- Then put the cookies on a baking sheet with parchment paper and let them rest for 2/3 days before cooking. Store them in a dry, warm place for a couple of days, but alternatively leave them for one day under the oven light and will get the same result: the surface should appear dry and whitish.
- After the necessary time, turn on the oven at 356° F and heat it for 15 minutes.
- Cook the Dead Bones cookies for 10-15 minutes, until the base is caramelized and the top is white and empty. Serve cold.