Savory Cake with Fontina Cheese, Eggplants and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Rustic pie are an excellent appetizer idea. In this recipe, we decided to use wholemeal flour because it is more digestible than other types of flour. To garnish this savory cake we'll use Fontina cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, a tasty combination of flavor.
Dried tomatoes are mostly used to add a strong flavor to recipes that contain less savory elements, such as, eggplant. Use sun-dried tomatoes in oil, but drain the oil well before using them in your rustic pie.
This sun-dried tomatoes recipe idea is really tasty and it's really easy to make. Fontina adds the right flavor to the delicate savor of the eggplant. If you love the result, try more sun-dried tomatoes recipes.
- Cut the eggplant into cubes and chop the onion.
- Grease a baking pan slightly and add onion, peppers and eggplant. Bake at 356°F for about 15 minutes. Then put the vegetables in a bowl and season with salt.
- In a bowl mix eggs, flour, milk and a pinch of salt.
- In another bowl prepare the pie dough by mixing with flour, salt and baking soda. Add the oil always mixing.
- Boil the water and add it to the mixture gradually, always checking the consistency.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes with your hands and then stretch it on the pan creating a layer 1/4in thick. Pierce the pie base with a fork. Remember to keep the edges high: in this way you will able to fold the edges inwards, over the stuffing.
- Pour the vegetables on the base, and add cubes of Fontina and chopped dried tomatoes.
- Complete the stuffing by adding the egg mixture.
- Fold extended edges of dough up and over filling; seal all edges.
- Bake the pie at 356°F for about 40 minutes. Check the pie and if necessary cook a few minutes more.