Risotto with Tomatoes and Buffalo Mozzarella Cheese
Rice with tomato sauce is a traditional and simple recipe, that with a touch of originality can become a sophisticated dish.
How to Make Risotto with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella
- For this risotto recipe you wil need both a tomato sauce and a passata. To make the first, simmer for a few seconds 2 or 3 tomatoes, peel them and remove the seeds (keep them for the following step), cut into cubes and brown them with garlic, olive oil and some basil leaves.
- To make the passata, chop the remaining tomatoes to make a sauce. Now, blend the sauce in the mixer and sieve; season with salt. Alternatively you can use Sensibus ready-made tomato sauce and passata.
- Chop the Mozzarella di Bufala, and mix it with its own water.
- Put the the mixture into ice cubes and freeze it.
- Then ground the cubes in a blender so as to obtain a “mozzarella snow”.
- Panfry some chopped onion.
- When it gets a golden colour, add the rice and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the wine and simmer gently until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Warm up the chicken (or vegetarian) broth and add it to the rise one ladle at a time.
- Halfway through cooking, add the tomatoes sauce and some basil leaves.
- Finally, when the rice is “al dente” turn the heat off and add some Parmigiano cheese. If necessary add some salt.
Place on the bottom of the dish a tablespoon of DOP basil pesto, then the risotto with a few drops of oil, the snow of mozzarella and basil leaves. Serve with a light white wine.
Tomato and Mozzarella Risotto: an Easier Alternative
Someone may be scared bu the preparation of this amazing - yet not simple - Mozzarella snow. Don't worry! Here it is an easier and quicker alternative for the lovers of tomato and mozzarella risotto.
- After cooking the rise as explained above (first in broth, than adding the tomato sauce), add a little butter and some Parmesan cheese.
- Take the pan off the burner, add the Mozzarella (previously chopped) to the risotto and stir well.
- Garnish with a few leaves of fresh basil and serve hot.