Poached Pears in Red Wine with Spices and Cheeses
Cheese with pears is one of the oldest food pairings that is being rediscovered. Pewrfect to be served as entrée or as a sophisticated dessert.
Once it was a typical poor breakfast or lunch for the shepherds, today this combination is used to make delicious gourmet dishes, to be served as entrée or, more frequently, as a sophisticated dessert.
- Pour 6 oz of water and the liquor in a saucepan.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, star anises, cloves and grounded cardamom seeds. Bring to a boil.
- Then peel the pears keeping the stem, and make incisions lengthwise.
- Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat, add the pears, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After that, remove the lid and continue cooking for about 30 minutes, turning the pears occasionally with the help of two spoons, until the liquid will be reduced and will have assumed a syrupy consistency.
How to Serve Poached Pears with Cheese
- Serve the pears with the syrup filtered and with some slices of the different cheeses, and garnish with the fruit.
- Alternatively, serve the poached pears with some ice-cream and fruit.