Homemade Hot Cross Buns: an Easy Traditional Recipe
Discover how to make hot cross buns, spiced sweet bun made with currants or raisins.
Hot cross buns are part of the traditional English Easter breakfast. This sweet and fluffy bread with a spicy flavor is very popular all over the world and they can be recognized by the classic white cross on the top of the buns symbolizing the crucifixion.
The hot cross buns are a symbol of the Anglosaxon Easter Food, but you can find them in every period of the year. You can eat them at breakfast or for a delicious snack.
What is the Cross on the Hot Cross Bun Made of?
The cross is made of sugar glaze but you can replace it with a lot of variants of glazes: of coconut, vanilla, lemon and more.
How to Eat Hot Cross Buns?
The calssic combination is warm or toasted hot cross buns with salted butter, but you can also cut them in two and spred organic jam, honey or chocolate cream for a decadent version!
- To prepare the hot cross buns place sifted flours, sugar and dehydrated beer yeast in a large bowl. Mix the ingredients.
- Add the warm tepid milk and warm water.
- Then add the egg, keeping mixing.
- When the dough is homogeneous, add half a teaspoon of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and grated orange zest.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the orange juice and soak the raisins in it until soft. Add the raisins to the dough and mix well.
- Add the softened butter a little at a time and finally add the salt.
- Work the dough until it will be smooth and elastic. Now knead the dough and give it the shape of a ball. To prevent the dough from sticking to your hands add a tablespoon of oil instead of flour.
- Put the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 2 1/2 hours in the oven off with the light on.
- Once the dough has doubled, divide the dough into 18-19 tidbits of 2.5 oz each and give each one a spherical shape.
- Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush them with a beaten egg so that while cooking they will become golden brown on the surface.
- Cook the hot cross buns in a preheated oven at 356 ° F for 30.
Hot cross buns decoration
For icing, in a small bowl, mix sugar and enough milk to reach the desired consistency. Draw a cross on top of each bun with this mixture using a pastry bag or a cooking brush . Serve warm.