Halloween Dinner Recipes: Lasagne with Pumpkin, Cheese and Speck
This lasagna with pumpkin, caciocavallo cheese and speck ham is a typical October dish, and a perfect Halloween food idea.
- First you have to prepare the pumpkin sauce. Peel the pumpkin and cut it into cubes.
- Take half of an onion, cut it into thin slices and stir-fry it in a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the pumpkin and halfway through cooking, add a pinch of salt, a sprig of rosemary and a sprinkling of white pepper (or black pepper, provided that you don't exagerate!). Cover with a lid and cook until the pumpkin cubes are tender.
- In another pan, cut the speck ham into strips and fry it in a saucepan. You don't need to add oil, because you have to obtain pieces of crispy speck.
- Now, pour the pumpkin in a bowl, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and blend until you get a creamy pumpkin sauce. If you want you can also make a bechamel and mix it with the sauce.
- Put the lasagna sheets in salted boiling water for a few seconds and drain them with a slotted spoon. Lay them on a clean cloth and let dry for a few minutes.
- Lightly butter a baking dish and place a ladle of pumpkin sauce on the bottom. Then create a layer of lasagna sheets, cover with some pumpkin sauce, add a layer of sliced caciocavallo cheese, the speck slices and a sprinkling of grated Parmigiano or Grana Padano. Repeat until finishing the available ingredients, trying to get at least 3 layers of lasagna.
- Remember to cover the upper layer withsome sauce and plenty of grated cheese and some butter.
- Cook and brown in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Alternative cheese: if you don't like Caciocavallo cheese you can replace it with some Castelmagno DOP or with a more delicate Stracchino.