Halloween Dinner Recipes: Lasagne with Pumpkin, Cheese and Speck
This lasagna with pumpkin, caciocavallo cheese and speck ham is a typical October dish, and a perfect Halloween food idea.
The pasta sheets are enriched by a creamy pumpkin sauce, crunchy slices of smoked ham and and them rich caciocavallo cheese.
The pumpkin, apart from being the Halloween symbol par excellence, is used in the preparation of many delicious recipes: stuffed pasta such as ravioli, gnocchi, to enrich soups and even in jams. It is a low-calorie vegetable and despite its sweet taste, it can be consumed by diabetics and in case of weight-loss diets. It is rich in beta-carotene, A and B vitamins and many antioxidants. And when cooking a pumpkin, don't throw away its seeds: they can be roasted in the oven and become an excellent snack.
The pumpkin lasagna is a variant of the traditional lasagna recipe with meat sauce, and it can be an excellent recipe for Halloween dinner or a perfect main course in October's Sundays.
- First you have to prepare the pumpkin sauce. Peel the pumpkin and cut it into cubes.
- Take half of an onion, cut it into thin slices and stir-fry it in a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the pumpkin and halfway through cooking, add a pinch of salt, a sprig of rosemary and a sprinkling of white pepper (or black pepper, provided that you don't exagerate!). Cover with a lid and cook until the pumpkin cubes are tender.
- In another pan, cut the speck ham into strips and fry it in a saucepan. You don't need to add oil, because you have to obtain pieces of crispy speck.
- Now, pour the pumpkin in a bowl, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and blend until you get a creamy pumpkin sauce. If you want you can also make a bechamel and mix it with the sauce.
- Put the lasagna sheets in salted boiling water for a few seconds and drain them with a slotted spoon. Lay them on a clean cloth and let dry for a few minutes.
- Lightly butter a baking dish and place a ladle of pumpkin sauce on the bottom. Then create a layer of lasagna sheets, cover with some pumpkin sauce, add a layer of sliced caciocavallo cheese, the speck slices and a sprinkling of grated Parmigiano or Grana Padano. Repeat until finishing the available ingredients, trying to get at least 3 layers of lasagna.
- Remember to cover the upper layer withsome sauce and plenty of grated cheese and some butter.
- Cook and brown in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Alternative cheese: if you don't like Caciocavallo cheese you can replace it with some Castelmagno DOP or with a more delicate Stracchino.