Four Cheese Pizza Recipe
Four Cheese, “Quattro Formaggi” in Italian, is a typical Italian cheesy sauce used to season pasta, pizza or as a dip.
If you think about the colors of the Italian pizza it's likely that you will remember pizza Margherita colors: red tomatoes, white mozzarella and green basil (the colors of the Italian flag). But pizza hasn't to be necessarily seasoned with tomato sauce. Infact, the popular Four Cheese Pizza is an example of white pizza recipe (although the variant with tomato also exists).
Nowadays Quattro Formaggi Pizza is a must! This type of pizza is one of the most classic pizza toppings like Margherita (tomato, mozzarella and basil), Marinara (tomato, origan and garlic), Capricciosa (mozzarella, Italian baked ham, mushroom, artichoke and tomato and Napoletana (tomato, mozzarella and anchovies). If you are a cheese lover you have to taste this recipe!
Quattro Formaggi (four cheese sauce) is a typical Italian season that you can find used in many different ways. The classic recipes using this sauce are: four cheese gnocchi, four cheese crepes, lasagna, penne or four cheese pizza.
What kind of cheese is better to use for a four cheese sauce? There are a lot of combinations but the classic match is: Fontina cheese, Gorgonzola, Mozzarella and Parmesan.
Four Cheese Pizza must be eaten hot to prevent the cheese from getting cold and hard. Here we suggest you the most traditional combination of cheeses. Yet, cooking is a creative job, thereofre you are free to substitute or add one or more cheeses, if you want.
- Make your Pizza dough or buy it if you don't have enough time, and roll it out onto a lightly floured surface. The Pizza base myust be 0.2-inch thick.
- Place your pizza on a olive-oil-rubbed and flour dusted pan.
- With a fork make some holes on the pizza sheet before seasoning.
- Remove the rind from gorgonzola and fontina and cut all the cheeses (except Parmesan) into small cubes.
- Distribute all the cheese onto your dough and season with a pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake the pizza at 425° F in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve it very hot!