Panettone Bread and Butter pudding with orange sauce
This idea is inspired by a popular homemade English Christmas pudding: bread and butter pudding recipe. Yet, instead of using simple bread, I upcycle remaining slices of panettone, pandoro or other similar sweets.
Many people adore bread and butter pudding with croissants. But the one with Panettone is still my favorite version. I like it so much that I made it in two versions: the first one with a simple yet delicious orange sauce, and the second enriched with some rum, so as to make both adults and children happy!
- Preheat oven to 180 °. In a bowl mix milk, sugar, cinnamon and eggs until getting a creamy and smooth mixture.
- Add the slices of panettone bread and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Grease a baking dish with butter, arrange the slices of panettone onto it and pour the liquid over. Bake for about 4o minutes.
- For the sauce:
- To make the sauce, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook until getting a thick reduction (if you want you can add some cornstarch).
- Let cool and pour over the pudding before serving.
- You can enrich the orange sauce with a few tablespoons of Cointreau or Amaretto di Saronno liqueur.
- Alternatively, you can make the sauce by diluting some orgnaic orange jam with alittle water or liqueur.
You can also make a chocolate bread and butter pudding using a chocolate panettone.
If you are planning to make a buffet table for your Christmas party, we suggest you to make individual bread and butter puddings.
And if you have children, your mini bread and butter puddings will be a true success!
Images: Bread and Butter pudding by standardspirals and Sliced - Julia's Orange Bread by alpha used under CC BY-SA 2.0 | One of the best... by Vernon Chan used under CC BY 2.0