Lago del Moncenisio (Moncenisio Lake) is situated between the Italian Val di Susa and the French Valle de la Maurienne to which it belongs politically since the end of World War II, when these territories passed to France according to the Paris Peace Treaties. The Lake can be reached by passing the little village Moncenisio and San Nicolao Plain.
Originally, Moncenisio Lake was a rather small lake crossed by the so-called Red Brigde (Ponte Rosso) which was part of the route directed to the Mont Cenis. However, with the construction of the Mon-Cenis dam in 1969 Lago del Moncenisio extendedit and achieved its present dimensions.
The old bridge as well as the hospice, built in the 9th century to give shelter to pilgrims, disappeared under the water.
Every year between the end of March and the beginning of June, after the winter season, the lake is completely depleted and it's long history reappears. Not only the bridge and the hospice, but also the three older dams, tunnel, bunker and an anti-tank ditch dating back to World War II.
Near Moncenisio Lake, you will also find an abandoned village, Gran Croix, and it's church, built in 1626.